Tuesday 2 June 2015

Hawthorn Primary School

If you ever want to start the day with a good old laugh, I would recommend spending five minutes in the reception area of Hawthorn Primary School in Birmingham just before school starts. That was where I was yesterday and it was hilarious! First, one boy came in with his mum shaking out a very wet looking lunchbox. Seems his juice had exploded at the sight of his sandwiches, leaving a soggy, damp mess swishing around in there. That was followed shortly after by a great little sketch...

Brother 1: Mum, mum, he's got different trainers on!
Mum:        What?
Brother 1: He's got different trainers on! Honestly, he has!
Mum:       Go and get him.

Brother 1 runs off, returning shortly after with little brother in tow...Mum looks at little brother's feet where he has evidently got one new shoe and one old one on.

Mum:  Oh my word, he has! How've you done that?

Conrad starts to laugh. Mum turns to him.

Mum:  I bought him new shoes in the holidays, but they're just like his old ones. Oh how has he managed to do that?
Little brother:  Look! One's shiny...and one isn't.

It was great. Really a nice way to start the day. I was helping the children begin their poetry week, and it was a fab day. After an assembly (where I nearly knocked myself out on the low door frame  - something I had to look out for throughout school as it didn't appear to have been made for those of us who stand at 6ft 2!) of poetry, I moved to each class helping the children come up with brand new poems. Being a BSL (British Sign Language) school, the actions for many of the poems were ready made. I now know how to sign 'fantastic' (fist into palm with thumb sticking up), thank you (palm from chin outwards towards the person you're thanking) and some other words too.

The teachers were brill - really involved and quite obviously extremely fond of their classes. Everyone made me feel welcome and appreciated, and it was a happy day. Here are a couple of the poems that were made yesterday by the children...

Dad's Pants

My dad's got horrid undies
They're big and vibrant pink
But worse than that, you see,
His undies really stink!

They smell like rotten cabbage
His undies sure are grim
My mum keeps trying to hide them
In the garbage bin

I give my nasty neighbour
Dad's disgusting pants
Then watch him turn bright green
And quickly move to France!

Written by Y3


Crocodile in the Loo

Don't go into the toilets
Don't go into the loo
There's something hiding there
Waiting just for you

He has got sharp teeth
And a massive belly
It goes wibble wobble
Like a bright green jelly

He has great big eyes
Staring straight at me
I want to run away
I cannot do a wee

I turn around and scream
I really want my mum
The crocodile gets me
And bites me on my bum!

Written by Y1


Aren't they brilliant? And then, right at the end of the day, I was given this by Humzah in Y3. What a poet!!!!


My house is
Amazing
Amazing as you
There's a place for
privacy
A bath tub too
A place to sleep,
Quietly,
well that's a bed.
A lovely tiled kitchen
Full of sweets
and bread
My garden's full of flowers
A swing and slide too
A place to play
Football
Basket ball
too!

By Humzah.

Fantastic! There were some brill drawings to go with the poem, but my phone doesn't want to load them up for some reason.

Thanks to everyone involved in the day - hopefully I'll see you again sometime.

Conrad

 

No comments: