Sunday 18 July 2010

Poetry Pottiness!

Unbelievably, I have sold 400 books in the first two and half weeks of selling. Imagine that?!!! I never thought it would go so well. But it is doing, and I've still got 4 more schools to go before the holidays. But better even than that is the feedback. The kids genuinely seem to be enjoying what they are reading. And that is the highest praise for me. I have heard of children sitting in the playground, reading my book whilst all around them carries on as normal; children bringing their book to school the following day to read; children copying the drawings; children writing their own poems. It is absolutely brill! At Wombwell Park Street in Barnsley last week I did a poetry day with the children. Apparently the following day the Year 5 children illustrated the poem that we created together, and then had it judged by the head. I just love to hear things like that - I don't often get to see the finished article as I'm gone before it arrives. I guess I'm the facilitator, not the finisher! But it's wonderful for me to hear these stories. And the most incredible thing about it all is that I've done it myself. Well, that's not strictly true - without David my printer and designer; Lilian my illustrator, and Clare, my wife, I'd not be where I am now. But it's come about because of me. So well done me!!!

No comments: