Thursday 27 February 2014

Fame at last! (sort of...)

On Monday I had the pleasure of going to one of the nicest Junior and Infant schools I've ever been to - Halfpenny Lane in Pontefract. The school is one of brightest, friendliest, most welcoming that I've visited. And the artwork around school is fantastic. Literally wherever your eyes look, there is some kind of drawing / painting / model up on the wall. I think the teachers and TAs there have that well known disease that afflicts teachers young and old alike - see-a-blank-space-and-cover-it-up-itis - but what a great disease to have. It has such a powerful effect on the whole atmosphere of school.

The workshops with the children were fab, and then...the crowning moment...was this...

You might need to zoom in...

But for those of you with dodgy eyes...

On the far right, on the green Guided Reading tub, we have...J.K. Rowling.

Next to her, on the blue, the wonderful David Walliams...

After that, on the yellow...author of 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' series, Jeff Kinney...

And next to that, on the red, little ol' me!!! Yup, Conrad Burdekin, rubbing shoulders with the great and the good of children's literature.

When I showed Alice tonight, she exclaimed: "Daddy, are you famous?!"

I had to explain to her that if the definition of fame is 'known to quite a lot of people in schools in the Yorkshire area' then, kind of...

"Ah," she said. "So, not like known by hundreds and billions."

No, not quite!

But still, I was very chuffed that some of the children had chosen me to be their 'mascot' as it were. Thanks guys!

School also put up a video of me doing one of my story workshops. It's hilarious. Listen to Ben ( I think it was Ben) when he is playing the role of a horrid bird called J.B. (Jelly Bean). He's just nicked some jelly beans off a poor old granny. When she shouts for her sweets back, his reply is priceless. You can see it at...

 
Really funny!
 
So thanks everyone at Halfpenny for a great day. I loved it!
 
 

No comments: