Tuesday 1 July 2008

Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman


I've never read any of this series before, until a few days ago when my brilliantly wacky niece passed this on. She thought I'd like it and you know what? I DO! So thanks Rosie. One down, five or so more to go. It's one of those kids books that is for adults too (I have to say that - I'm an adult and I liked it) - lots of tongue in cheek stuff and slightly 'left field' humour. Chapters such as Reverse Reverse Psychology and The Placenta Effect are great.
So what's it all about? Well, in a nutshell it follows two school boys, George and Harold, as they try to stay out of trouble (sort of) in a school where imagination is a swear word. And imagination is something that they have lots of. Enough to conjure up a comic book character called Captain Underpants. The only problem is, Mr Krupp, the head teacher, believes that he actually is Captain Underpants. And when Miss Ribble (Miserable. Geddit?! - the names in this book are ace) is hypnotised, she decides she has to catch the aforementioned Underpants. Cue pandemonium, lots of trouble for George and Harold, and more than one Wicked Wedgie.
I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series. This is actually the fourth book but I found it no problem starting in the middle of the series. There's a lot to this book. And I've also just discovered the Dav Pilkey website - take a look on www.pilkey.com - it's cool. Lots of fun things to do, and loads of facts and interesting stuff about the books.
Once again, thanks Rosie! I'll be getting into the others soon.

No comments: