Thursday 26 June 2008

Prince Caspian

I just finished reading this today - the day that the film is released in the UK. I'd read 'Voyage of the Dawn Treader' a few weeks ago, and wanted to read the book that preceded it. And my conclusion...'Prince Caspian' isn't quite as good. I was thinking about it this afternoon - what is it that makes it less exciting than some of the other Lewis books? And I reckon it's to do with magic; not that there isn't any magic in this book - there is magic in them all - but the whole feel of the book isn't as magical as the others. It's more like a historical picture of what happened to Narnia following the children's exit through the Wardrobe in 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' with a bit of an adventure to finish the book off. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it, just not as much as 'Voyage of the Dawn Treader.' I read an interview with the director of the film 'Caspian' and he referred to the book not being quite the same quality as the others, and I know what he means. So on this occasion, I think that I will be glad if the filmmakers have added bits that aren't in the book. I'm dead interested to see what the film's like. It's so great that Narnia films are being made. More exciting for me than Harry Potter films.

No comments: