Tuesday 15 September 2009

Alone on a Wide Wide Sea


I only hope that I have not just read the best ever Michael Morpurgo book. I've got loads left to go, but I just can't imagine how any of them could eclipse this. It's only taken me a couple of days to read, amidst planning for all my workhsops, looking after our three girls, and trying desperately to get to bed early (which didn't work AT ALL last night). I was up till nearly midnight to finish this book, and boy did it make me cry! There are not many books that are 'chest huggers' but this is one. And by that I mean when I've finished a 'chest hugger' book, I hug it to my chest and just sit in silence. As Paul Sweeney once said (Dunno who he actually was / is) 'you know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend'. I do feel that way. It is unbelievably well written and exciting, and in some ways reminded me of the narrative voice from Kensuke's Kingdom. I think this book may be for slightly older children, but still, it's brill.

No comments: