Thursday 10 September 2009

You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum


I'm still not sure of my reaction to this book and I finished it a few days ago. ALL the reviews are about how funny and brilliant it is, but I've got a funny feeling that it didn't quite hit my funny bone like it hit everyone else's. I definitely enjoyed it, but not in the 'oh wow, this is the best book ever' type way that other people seem to have. And I definitely don't think it's as brill as Roald Dahl books. Am I showing my age? Aarrgghh! Hope not!

I loved the opening to the book, and actually having read the first two pages, thought that it was gonna be gob smackingly brilliant. Somehow, though, I felt some of the jokes were slightly too obvious with Andy Stanton saying 'look how clever I can be'.

Having said all that, this was pretty much my reaction to the first Lemony Snicket book, and I went on to absolutely LOVE the rest of that series. So I'll persevere. And if you're reading this and shouting 'No, Conrad, you don't know what you're talking about' then apologies!

No comments: