Thursday 10 September 2009



What a brilliant book - one of the best I've read for AGES. I read it after a recommendation from Mrs Stenton at Mapplewell Primary School. She read it to her class because she had a 'real life' Bradley Chalkers and wanted to help him see that there was a way to be better behaved! Following the rather tumultous life of Bradley, the story is so real to life it's hard to imagine that it isn't true. And the funny thing is that though Bradley is a little terror, you can't help but like him. His counsellor is wonderful and there are so many moments in the book where you want to cry (I did).

I went to bed late one night feeling exhausted and thinking I'd read a few pages - I finished the whole book in one go and was rather tired the next day! But it was worth it. There are so few books that grab me like this did. One of the scenes that stuck with me is the parents' reaction to the Counsellor (whose name temporarily escapes me). I wanted to shout at them 'Don't you GET it?!!!! She's helped one of your kids. She's helping LOADS of your kids.' It was frightening just how intimidated they were by her.

Brill brill brill and I can't recommend it highly enough.

No comments: