Sunday 22 May 2011

Biggest school ever!!!!!

My first journey to a school in Hull on Thursday last week, and WHAT a school. Loooong, straight corridors stretched into the distance, with classrooms spread out on both sides. When I asked how many children were at the school, I was told by the very helpful Atlanta that there were merely 613 pupils at Eastfield's primary school. 613!!!! Compare that to the modest 56 at Thurstonland First school in Huddersfield. You could fit more than 10 of those schools into Eastfields.

I found it so strange to have driven less than an hour, yet be met with such a different accent. Faaaaive was the new 'five' - it always amazes me how diverse our accents are in this country.

As for the three reception classes that I saw, they were brill. The majority of them were absolutely convinced that they'd seen Sweet pete by the end of the day, and were all chattering about him as they left. Thanks also to the staff who made it such a lovely afternoon, and who promoted my book so kindly on my behalf.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

To Conrad
I really liked your poems.
Would you like to hear mine?

Thunder Storm

At the end of the sea
what could it be?
Crashing banging loud
Into the deep dark cloud
what could it be?
its a Mystery!!!

from Charlotte p.s Thank you for coming into our class 3 in the Howard School.