Friday 13 May 2011

John, Jack and a Jamaican Anansi

I tried out a full one hour interactive storytelling session on my Year 6s today - and they LOVED it! First up was 'The Three Sillies' as recounted by Hugh Lupton (whom I also had the pleasure of seeing in action a few weeks ago at York Theatre Royal - he was brilliant), then 'Jack and the Old Giant' and finishing with 'Anansi and the number nine.' I was keen to see if their attention would be held for a full hour, and it pretty much was, apart from the odd shuffling here and there. I was very pleased with the reaction to Jack and the Old Giant, as this is the first time I've ever told it to anyone other than my webcam (I keep having to webcam myself for my mentoring by Gemma from 'Once Upon a Story'). And as for Anansi - the kids LOVED it and they LAUGHED so much at my (admittedly slightly shaky) Jamaican accent.

The afternoon filled me with joy - I really really did have a good time, and once again I realise that stories that are humorous are my kind of story. One thing I also realised - when I do full days of storytelling, I can't be shouting as loud as long as I did in the Anansi story. My voice is fried!

Thanks to Year 6 at St Peter's. They were fab.

No comments: