Monday 23 June 2008

The Suitcase Kid



I actually think that Jacqueline Wilson is a genius. Reading her books is like reading real life. I don't think I've ever read one of hers and thought 'no, that wouldn't happen, that's silly'. This one is no exception. She always has great characters, with lots of little quirks and memorable traits. And, as always, there are sections that make me feel that despite whatever life throws at her characters, they'll come through the other side ok. This is definitely true for Andy (Andrea), the main character. Following her parents' divorce, she is forced to live one week with dad, one week with mum, and it all becomes a bit much. She does manage to overcome her feelings of not fitting in anywhere, thanks in large part to her new step brother Graham (their relationship is brill) and two of the nicest old people I've met in any Jacqueline Wilson novel. And, of course, thanks to her pet Sylvanian rabbit Radish. Which was particularly endearing for me as my mum has recently gone bonkers over Sylvanian toys - she's discovered ebay and has been buying them daily for Alice, our eldest daughter and mum's first granddaughter. She's onto her 11th Sylvanian family and Alice loves them! And if Andy can have so much fun with one Sylvanian rabbit, just think how much fun is in store for Alice over the next few years with a whole city's worth of Sylvanian animals! This is not my favourite Jacqueline Wilson book ('The Illustrated Mum' has yet to be eclipsed of all the J.W. books I've read), but was nevertheless really enjoyable. I'm going to be using it to do a workshop with the Year 6 pupils at St. Peter's (Birstall) this week. Interesting that both the boys and the girls are enjoying reading it. Who said J.W. was only for girls?!

No comments: