Friday 20 June 2008

Voyage of the Dawn Treader



I come back to C.S. Lewis time after time after time. There is something wonderfully comforting about his Narnia books; something that makes me think the world is a wonderful place.

This book sees the return of Lucy and Edmund (remember him from 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' - I still won't eat Turkish Delight!) to Narnia, where they embark on a voyage with their friend, Prince Caspian. Unfortunately for them, they are accompanied by their awful cousin Eustace. Islands where everything turns to gold; pitch black holes in the sea where your worst dreams take on physical form; and a mouse with an attitude are just some of the things you will discover.

So much about this book is fantastic, but surely the best part is when Eustace turns into a dragon? Chapters 6 and 7 that describe his adventure as it unfolds are two of the most gripping chapters I have ever read. Not to mention the section later in the book when Lucy begins to leaf her way through a Magician's book and ends up wishing that she hadn't. I have no idea how Lewis came up with his ideas, but when this film arrives on the big screen (2010 I think) I will be at the front of the queue.

No comments: