Thursday 11 October 2012

Benjamin Zephaniah...Irie Irie!

I visited Ecclesall Juniors last week for National Poetry day. I received an email earlier this week with a great story - the Y6 children from the Junior school were taken to watch Benjamin Zephaniah in action at the Lyceum in Sheffield. I'd have loved to have gone myself, but unfortunately when you have three girls to look after, things like this midweek are rather unattainable. When Mabel's in school...then...then...I'll be able to do it all!

Anyway, Joe, one of the boys who read out a poem in the final school assembly on the day of my visit, also managed to get himself on stage with BZ himself at the Lyceum. Not only that, but he also read out his poem that he'd written during my workshop, got to high five BZ, and was the recipient of much whooping and hollering from his classmates. Irie! Well done Joe, that's awesome. To have the approval of the great Ben Zeph, now that IS something to shout about.

I also suspect, (though have no proof to corroborate this 'fact' as I was not there), that the Ecclesall bunch, with their Benjamin Zephaniah hats, were by far the coolest kids there. I'll leave it to you to agree or disagree. Like I say, I wasn't there...

No comments: