Thursday 4 October 2012

Guns 'n' Roses at Ecclesall Juniors!

Last year I went to Ecclesall Junior school for National Poetry day, and my abiding memory was listening to one of the year groups singing the Matchstalk Men song about Lowry. I could not get it out of my head, came home, and spent two hours researching Lowry, the song, and a host of things that were most definitely NOT the planning that I should have been doing. All to a backdrop of the song on my computer on repeat.

So...as I headed of to Ecclesall Juniors today, once again on National Poetry Day, I couldn't help but hum the Matchstalk Men song as I had last year. There was no chance that I'd be so taken with something today in the way I was last year. No chance at all. Not a hope...

Until, of course, I walked into an empty hall to be greeted with 'Sweet Child of Mine' by Guns 'n' Roses...on repeat...loud!

So now THAT's what I can't get out of my head. Brilliant! Reminds me of my brother when he was young, listening to that song all the time. I don't know of any other junior school that would have G'n'R blaring out first thing on a morning, and I say WELL DONE! DO MORE!

And what I day we had. I absolutely LOVE this school. Everyone is just lovely lovely lovely! And the children came up with some amazing poetry. Not least, Gina, from Year 3, who'd written a poem the night BEFORE my visit as she got ready to celebrate National Poetry Day. So...here it is, linking in very nicely with the theme for this year's poetry day, which is STARS...

Gina, over to you...

My first shooting star

Bored and frustrated, sitting on my bed
See the curtains - an idea in my head
Rip them open, gaze out far
To my joy a shooting star!


I read it out to the school and they were suitably impressed. As was I! Well done Gina, keep writing 'em.

I was also given a poem by Megan in Year 6...not a star poem, this one, but one that is very topical around this time of the year...So Megan, take it away...

Halloween

Halloween's the time of ghosts and ghouls,
Pumpkins in windows grin like fools
When warlocks and witches meet,
Children go out to trick or treat
Some people do apple bobbing
While the spirits are wailing and sobbing
At the middle of the night,
You can get a fright


Brilliant, Megan, well done.

There were so many excellent poems today. Joe's kenning was awesome, Fraser and Oscar's poem about Teachers vs Aliens was a delight, and so so many more. As I watched all the children filing in to the final assembly I was filled with a real joy, one that I could feel deep inside, and could feel emanating from the children too.

Thank you Ecclesall, you've been great.

Now, what date is National Poetry Day 2013...?!!!

No comments: