Saturday 6 October 2012

Long Drive to Longford!

My first ever school in Staffordshire! Longford Primary turns out to be quite a way away for me...well over 100 miles, and over 2 hours of driving, which at 545 on a cold, dark, wet autumnal morning is not my IDEAL way to start a day.

However, it was VERY worth it. The children and staff were brilliant - made me feel exceptionally welcome and we had a blast. We were celebrating national Poetry Day (a day late!), and I'd been asked to work primarily with KS2 children on performance poetry. No problem, I thought. I'll get them all to perform some of my poems in groups...done that before...worked well...

Then, as I was about to launch into the first session with Y3, I suddenly thought 'Oh, I've not done this with a Y3 group before...hmmmm...will they be ok with it...?' And my goodness they were! In fact, the winning group were really close to winning the whole thing, just getting pipped at the post by Year 6's performance of a new poem of mine called 'New Term, New Germs.'

I was also ably supported throughout the day by Mrs Hume - I think that without teaching assistants like her, schools would fall apart in very short order.

Thanks to all at Longford, and here's hoping we meet again. And next time maybe I'll understand a few more words that the children say...cos that accent foxed me on a number of occasions!

No comments: